Welcome to the HBW high school chorus auditions, digital version! I am so glad that you have chosen to audition for Camerata or Chamber Singers and am proud of you for even making this decision. Know that you, or any of your friends are not required to audition to be in high school chorus. Anyone can sign up for Treble or Basso Concert Choirs. But an audition is required for Camerata or Chamber Singers. Regardless of the outcome of this audition, I hope that chorus will be a part of your future. There is something to learn and a rich experience to have through music no matter what ensemble you are in. Every ensemble will have wonderful pieces to sing, fun experiences and will forge lifelong memories.
You are also able to navigate this audition material on Canvas and you will have to use Canvas to complete the Sight Reading Portion. To self-enroll in the Chorus Audition Canvas Course, click this link:
Here is the audition process for this year:
1. Complete this Audition Google Form: https://forms.gle/bT5r9jngXpqdc1VW6 (Links to an external site.)
2. Record yourself singing “My Country Tis of Thee” acapella.
By singing this somewhat familiar song without accompaniment, you have a chance to demonstrate the beauty of your tone, musicality, expressiveness and intonation. Though there are two verses on the sheet music, you only need to sing the first verse.
Here are resources to help you in your preparation:
“My Country Tis of Thee” sheet music: America-My-Country-tis-of-Thee.pdf
3. Learn and record yourself singing “Where E’re You Walk” by G.F Handel with accompaniment.
This song is new to everyone who is auditioning, so this will be a measure of how well you learn, practice and perform a new song. To help you learn, here is a performance of the song by opera legend Kathleen Battle. (You only need to sing the first 2 minutes of this track.)
– Learn the song using the resources provided.
– Choose the voice part that makes your voice sound the best. (The voice part you chose will have no bearing on your audition, and will not determine what part you sing next year.)
– Record yourself singing with the accompaniment track playing. For this recording, you do NOT need to use Garage Band, but whatever recording device that is easiest for you.
You should submit two recording files, one with America and the other with “Where E’re You Walk”. Send your recordings through the Canvas Assignment or via email to Bill at email@example.com.
4. Perform and submit a Sight Reading Example. Visit the 2021-22 Chorus Auditions Canvas Course for more information and to complete the Sight Reading example. You can do so by enrolling in the course at this link: https://apsva.instructure.com/enroll/MTCFDB
All audition submissions must be submitted by 11:59pm on Friday, May 28th. Good luck with your audition, and no matter what the outcome is, I look forward to making music together next year!