Welcome to the HBW high school chorus auditions, digital version! I am so glad that you have chosen to audition for Camerata or Chamber Singers and am proud of you for even making this decision. Know that you, or any of your friends are not required to audition to be in high school chorus. Anyone can sign up for Treble or Basso Concert Choirs. But an audition is required for Camerata or Chamber Singers. Regardless of the outcome of this audition, I hope that chorus will be a part of your future. There is something to learn and a rich experience to have through music no matter what ensemble you are in. Every ensemble will have wonderful pieces to sing, fun experiences and will forge lifelong memories.
Here is the audition process for this year:
1. Complete this Audition Google Form: https://forms.gle/bT5r9jngXpqdc1VW6 (Links to an external site.)
2. Record yourself singing “My Country Tis of Thee” acapella.
By singing this somewhat familiar song without accompaniment, you have a chance to demonstrate the beauty of your tone, musicality, expressiveness and intonation. Though there are two verses on the sheet music, you only need to sing the first verse.
Here are resources to help you in your preparation:
“My Country Tis of Thee” sheet music: America-My-Country-tis-of-Thee.pdf
3. Learn and record yourself singing “Deep River” by Harry T. Burleigh with accompaniment.
This song is new to everyone who is auditioning, so this will be a measure of how well you learn, practice and perform a new song. To help you learn, here is a performance of the song by opera legend, Marian Anderson. (More about Harry T. Burleigh and Marian Anderson are provided below to further your learning.) Deep River (Links to an external site.)
At the following link, you will find PDFs of sheet music and accompaniment tracks in a variety of voice parts: Link to “Deep River” music resources (Links to an external site.).
– Learn the song using the resources provided.
– Choose the voice part that makes your voice sound the best. (The voice part you chose will have no bearing on your audition, and will not determine what part you sing next year.)
– Record yourself singing with the accompaniment track playing. For this recording, you do NOT need to use Garage Band, but whatever recording device that is easiest for you.
You should submit two recording files, one with America and the other with Deep River. Send your recording via email to Bill at email@example.com.
4. Perform and submit a Sight Reading Example. The following link will take you to a Sight Reading Factory Assignment: 2020-21 HBW Chorus Audition Sight Reading
All audition submissions must be submitted by 11:59pm on Friday, May 29th. Good luck with your audition, and no matter what the outcome is, I look forward to making music together next year!
More information about the musicians of “Deep River”
Henry T. (“Harry”) Burleigh (December 2, 1866 – September 12, 1949) was an American classical (Links to an external site.) composer, arranger, and professional singer known for his baritone (Links to an external site.) voice. The first black composer instrumental in developing characteristically American music, Burleigh made black music available to classically trained artists both by introducing them to spirituals and by arranging them in a more classical form.Classical singer
Marian Anderson was one of the all-time greats — both as an artist, and as a cultural figure who broke down racial barriers. She is best known for performing at the Lincoln Memorial in 1939, after she was denied permission to sing for an integrated audience at Washington’s DAR Constitution Hall. But she was much more than that — she helped shape American music. Read more here: https://www.npr.org/2019/08/27/753475676/marian-anderson-the-most-modest-trailblazer