It is customary in professional music performances for musicians to wear a formal uniform. Following that tradition, all music students are expected to wear a uniform for our concerts. This is important so that the music is our primary focus, not our fashion statements. Additionally, HBW music students often perform outside of our school, at which it is also expected musicians appear uniform. Please continue reading for specific uniform information.
The music uniforms do come at a cost and will be added to the student’s account. Checks should be made payable to H-B Woodlawn. We also have gently used uniforms that may be available for a reduced cost, should that be of interest. Scholarship support is available for any student who may need. Please speak with your music teacher. The uniform expectations for each ensemble are as follows:
- High School Music Ensembles (excluding Jazz Band) – formal dress or tuxedo, which are ordered at the beginning of the year. The cost of either the dress or the tuxedo is $110. For those that have previously purchased a tuxedo, but have outgrown a part of it, we are able to order a tux jacket, shirt and/or pants.
- Jazz Band – students provide their own uniform, and are asked to dress in all black: shirts, pants or skirt (below the knee), socks or stockings and dress shoes.
- Middle School Women’s Chorus – white blouse, which is ordered at the beginning of the semester for $35, as well as black pants or skirt, socks or stocking and dress shoes for which the student is responsible.
- Middle School Men’s Chorus – white button-up shirt, colored neck tie, which are ordered at the beginning of the semester for $35, as well as black pants, socks and dress shoes for which the student is responsible.
- Middle School Band or Orchestra – white shirt and black pants or skirt, socks or stockings and dress shoes all of which the student is responsible.
For uniforms ordered at the beginning of the year/semester, it is important that measurements are taken accurately to make sure the uniform fits correctly. Delivery of uniforms can take up to 6 weeks from the order date, so please pay attention to due dates. If your measurement form and payment have not been turned in by the due date, your uniform may not come in time for the concert, in which case you would not be able to perform. Once you receive your uniform it is your responsibility to take care of any addition alterations. HS dresses and tuxedo pants will come un-hemmed and will need to be hemmed before the first concert.
If you need to order a High School Uniform, please click here to submit your measurements: https://goo.gl/forms/DZEZk5VyHkhFntbr1
Parent Uniform Coordinator