We have THREE main collections of e-books. Work with them on a computer or with a downloadable app for your mobile device.
- Proquest E-Book Central (a massive database of nonfiction for research. Access from our database screen in MackinVia.)
Basics for Mackin and Follett for pleasure reading:
- Update for 2019: The way to see books contained in BOTH collections (Follett and Mackin) is to go the the library’s catalog at Follett Destiny especially if you are searching for a specific title. You can also view both collections through the Destiny Discover app.
- In your search results, the e-Books and audiobooks have distinct icons as shown in the standard Destiny interface pictured, and their call numbers end with EB and there is a button to “open” or “play” the book.
- Moving into an e-book, Follett will prompt you for your one login.
- If you like the book that you’ve been browsing, check the book out into your account. It then appears in your electronic “book bag” when you log in to the collection.
- You might prefer to open the App to browse for or search for e-books or our audiobooks. Your MackinVia app will only display the e-books from the Mackin collection (as of 2019.)
- Password? Use your “One Login.”
|The MackinVIA app takes you into the Mackin Collection and permits you to download the Mackin book to go mobile to where you no longer have internet connection.||The Destiny Discover app from Follett is used to go into the Follett collection, but it cross-links to list books in the Mackin Collection, displaying our Mackin e-books, too.
Coming in Feb. 2019: The Destiny Read app from Follett empowers you to download and read a book that you have checked out for the cases when you wish to read it offline.
The MackinVia App no longer lists the books from Follett ‘s collection in your search results, only the Mackin collection.
In many cases, you have to be inside the collection that houses it (Mackin or Follett Destiny Discover) in order to see if the book is actually available for your checkout. The books can often be browsed briefly or listened to a little, even if it’s already checked out by someone else. If no one has already checked out the book, it’s yours to check out and you should do so, or it won’t hold the point where you left off reading or listening.