Our library has an extensive collection of fiction books in addition to materials for research. We also have a very healthy graphic novel collection and the “Actors’ Bookshelf” and Judy Mayeux special collections.
H-B’s librarians, past and present, guide you towards these lists:
- Winners of the Newbery Award, Printz, National Book Award, Pulitzer as well as the top recommendations of students at HBW are listed in “Resource Lists” that are accessed in our Library Catalog as shown below:
- A favorite site for book recommendations: Your Next Read
- New York Public Library Site: Stuff for the Teen Age. Check it out!
- Another fun site for book reviews, recommendations, movie tie-ins and author gossip is:
Forever Young Adult
- Diversity is important. See the world through different lenses: Diversity in YA
- Want to know “what comes next” in a series? Use one of these links:
- Don’t you hate it when there is a huge gap in a series? Check out this site: Recaptains: Saving Series, One Book at a Time, designed to refresh your memory between that “last” book, published years ago and that “newest” book.
- Want best books? Try:
- Virginia Reader’s Choice – annual lists of recommended books from the Virginia State Reading Association, voted on by K-12 students in Virginia
- Capitol Choices – Recommended book lists from librarians, teachers, booksellers, children’s literature specialists, reviewers, and magazine editors who work in cities, suburbs, and rural areas in and around Washington, D.C.
What has our Supervisor of Libraries been reading? Check out former H-B Librarian Theresa Flynn’s Wild Librarian Bookspot — hundreds of reviews and still counting.
Purchase priorities change each year, but we always include the recommendations of students and staff, and these often take priority in ordering. Want to help us build the collection? See our wishlist at Amazon.com for titles we would like to include. Thanks!