Personalized Learning Devices
An important objective to reach the goals established in the Arlington Public Schools 2012-2016 Strategic Technology Plan is to “ensure that every student has access to an internet connected personal computing devices during and outside of school hours.” This means APS wants to have personalized learning devices for every student (1:1) by 2017.
During the 2016-17 school year all students in 6th, 7th and 8th grade will have iPads and students in grades 9, 10 and 11 will have a MacBook Air. Beginning HILT students have assigned devices but are kept in carts in the HILT department. Only seniors will not have a personalized device.
Shared Computers & Devices
In addition to the personalized devices, for the 2016-17 school year we will have a 4:1 ratio of students to computers for grades 6, 7, 8 and 12. We are working on a plan for distribution so seniors and Middle School students will have more access to laptops and our shared iPads and ChromeBooks will be available to students in high school classes.
Laptops Carts have been distributed around the building to be shared by teachers with students who do not have assigned laptops. Contact the teacher to use the cart. Students should check out a loaner laptop from the library. (Students in 9th, 10th and 11th grade are expected to bring their assigned MacBook Air and are not allowed to use these shared laptops.)
- Cart 1 – 20 PC laptops – room 307 Catherine for seniors
- Cart 2 – 20 PC laptops – room 208/201/202 Reina, Alison, Bill
- Cart 3 – 14 Mac laptops – Trailer 1 Deidre for yearbook
- Cart 4 – 9 PC laptops – room 126 Jeff (hoping to get additional laptops from APS to bring to 20)
- Cart 6 – 25 ChromeBooks – room 319 David C for seniors
- 25 computers are available for general use by students, without assigned laptops, in the library or reserved by teachers for class use.
- Loaner laptops – Some of the above laptops can be checked out by seniors, teachers with seniors or Middle School students for up to 3 hours. Only students who do not have assigned MacBook Airs will be able to check out laptops. (Students in 9th, 10th and 11th grade are expected to bring their assigned MacBook Air and will not be able to check out a laptop.)
These labs are reserved for special classes:
- Business Lab – Room 128 – 26 PCs (Digital Input Technology, Keyboarding, Engineering)
- Photo/Film/Music – Room 002 and 002A- 25 iMacs (Photo, Film)
- Music Theory – Practice Room – 6 iMacs (Music Theory classes)
- Robotics – Room 004 – 16 laptops for Robotics
- Distance Learning classes – Room 017 – Virtual APS will have laptops available for students without an assigned laptop.
- Tech Office – Room 129 – 1 iMac is available for students and teachers who need to use a Mac for photos, film editing or printing in color.
In addition to the 1:1 personalized iPads each student in grades 6-8 has, we have 110 older iPads which can be used for high school classes and HILT. (See Teri if you’d like to use these iPads)
- Every teacher has a teacher laptop. Almost all teachers have a MacBook Air, a few have PCs.
- All Middle School teachers have an iPad.
- Every classroom has a mounted projector and SMARTboard. (A few newer classrooms are waiting for installation.)
- Classrooms with projectors with hdmi ports have an Apple TV for wireless displaying from iPads and Macs (AirPlay). Teachers without these will get software to use their laptop for AirPlay.
- MAC VGA-Thunderbolt adapter to connect to projectors using cable – Most teachers have received one. Additional adapters have been ordered.
- Califone speakers and DVD players are available from the library. iPevo document cameras, scanners and Senteo student response systems (clickers) are available from Teri. (Note, we are currently ordering additional devices.)
- Networked laser printers are available throughout the building. Instructions for installing printers
- First floor – Hallway near custodian’s office; New Lab; Room 104 (teacher use only)
- Second floor – Phonebooth near office; Room 203; HILT lab 206; Rooms 216, office & gym are for teacher use only
- Third floor – Hallway near room 303; Hallway near the elevator; Room 319; Room 324, Library; Rooms 301, 304, 316 & 323 are for teacher use only
- Basement – Business lab, Photo lab, Music lab
- Color printer is located in room 128. Computers #18-26 in room 128 and the iMac in room 129 can print to the color printer. Teachers can install the color printer on their laptop.Instructions for installing printers
- 2 large photocopiers are in room 216. Teachers can print directly to the copier on the right. Remember to always set a locked job so you can retrieve your copies when you are in the copy room. Instructions on how to print to the photocopiers