How to save your files before your laptop is reimaged/backing up your APS MacBook
Step 1: Open a web browser window and navigate to Google Drive
- Using your preferred browser, go to Google Drive and log into your APS Google Drive account.
- If you log into any other account, you’ll be limited to a maximum of 15 GB of storage.
- Once logged in, click on New on the left-hand side, and then select Folder.
- Name the folder what you wish (ie: “Backup 8-8-21”. You will place all files saved on your laptop, (not in your Google Drive) that you want to keep here. Do not close this window.
Step 2: Check What You Have Saved on Your Laptop (not in Google)
- On your MacBook, open Finder and select teacher or student from the sidebar.
- If it’s not in your sidebar, go to the top of your screen, and select Finder, then select Preferences.
- Select the sidebar tag and check your account (teacher or student) then open a new Finder window.
- Drag finder next to the browser window that you opened in Step 1.
- Selecting your user account will show you everything you have saved on your laptop.
- Look at each folder and click and drag any files you wish to keep into the browser window open to Google Drive (from Step 1).
- You have 10TB of space on your Google drive, but trying to save files larger than 1GB (large movies, photo library files, program install files) can very likely cause an error while on the school network.
- For those files, you may wish to back them up on a flash drive or try to save them while at home.
- HOW TO Support from Google
Step 3: How to Save (Export) your Browser Bookmarks
These external links and information below will show you how to save your bookmark in the 3 browsers that Arlington Public Schools automatically installs on your APS issued laptop. If you use a browser that is different from what is listed, search for those instructions on the web (For example: “How do I export my bookmarks in Opera?”)
- Sign in to your iCloud account and check on the box for Safari – bookmarks will be saved automatically.
- Alternatively, you can follow these instructions that show you how to export your bookmarks.
- Be sure to save the exported files to your Google Drive or another cloud-based drive of your choice.
- If you are signed in to your Chrome profile, bookmarks are usually saved automatically.
- Alternatively, you can click on the three dots in the top right of your browser window, select bookmarks, then click on Bookmark Manager.
- Click on the three dots on the right side of the screen, and then select Export Bookmarks.
- Be sure your bookmarks are saved as an HTML file. Once downloaded save the files to your Google Drive.
- If you are looking to back up your Google Drive account because you are leaving APS you may follow these instructions that will show you how to use Google Takeout.
- Similar to Chrome, if you are signed into your Firefox profile, bookmarks are also usually saved.
- Alternatively, you can click on these three lines on the top-right of your browser window, select Bookmarks, then click Manage Bookmarks.
- From the toolbar in the library window, you can click on the Import and Backup Button and choose Export Bookmarks to HTML.
- Alternatively, you can follow these more detailed instructions that will show you how to export Firefox bookmarks as an HTML file.
Directions created by Christine Stokes-Beverly, Instructional Technology Coordinator, Wakefield High School